Monday, November 26, 2007

# 15 Library 2.0

I read a couple of the suggested articles. The first one, about moving away from icebergs, is a good argument. We absolutely do need to embrace technology and utilise some of the great tools out there to improve our service. There are so many ways that we can do this - it's enough to keep librarians busy for some time. I also read the last article "To a temporary place in time" that describes a utopian environment as the library of the future - both a resource and a space that offers something to everyone. I think that learning about new technologies and ways to improve our service is crucial but I think that the role of the public library is to be responsive to our members. Today I gave an email demonstration to a lady who was really trying, but kind of struggling, with computers and found all the jargon bewildering and overwhelming. Over the years there are people who will want training in new technologies and we should be responsive to that. But in ten years time I think there will still be people who aren't proficient in new technological developments and may not have any desire to learn about them. Libraries should always be responsive to the broad spectrum of member needs and capabilities. I agree with Rick Anderson that at the moment we need to develop our knowledge of new technology but I think this needs to be balanced with a continuing awareness of where our members are at and what the library means to them.

No comments: