Monday, November 26, 2007

# 16 Wikis

When I did the introduction tutorial one of the early slides said that if you are a control freak wikis won't appeal to you. I am a control freak and exploring the various library wikis out there confirmed for me that I'm not really a big fan of them. The only context in which I can see a good use for them at the library is a controlled wiki where only library staff can edit the entries - one of the libraries had one for staff reviews that I think is a good idea. At present our catalogue allows members of the public to add reviews but this is moderated by a library staff member - I don't think it would be appropriate to allow the public to add to a wiki without this moderation. A staff wiki that can be accessed through the library website might be good but even then I think the current system of having someone check everything before it goes live to make sure it is editorially correct is a good one. I don't really like the idea of ad hoc entries - if we are talking about staff reviews I would like things that go "out there" to be editorially consistent, similar length and written to a set structure. The benefit of doing it as a wiki is that it would save one staff member a lot of time checking everyone's contributions and I guess that is a substantive benefit.

No comments: