Wednesday, November 21, 2007

#13 Tagging

I love it!!

I started off reading the suggested guides on how to use del.icio.us and, while I got a general idea of the concept of tagging, my mind was swimming and comprehension wasn't really sinking. I felt I needed to do the optional thing suggested for this activity - to actually set up my own del.icio.us account and I'm really glad I did. I can really see the potential for this just for my own work and home computers - favourites do pile up and this is such a great way to organise resources you want to go back to. There is also the great benefit of being able to access my favourites from any pc with an internet connection. I suppose the other thing to keep in mind is that other people can access your favourites as all the del.icio.us accounts are linked. The first site I added was my personal hotmail account with the username typed in already to make it quicker for me, but I realised that other people will be able to get into my del.icio.us page and I don't want my login username "out there" so I have since deleted that entry.

Overall I'm hooked. I've just finished demonstrating it to a couple of colleagues. In terms of library work I will be looking at how our Weblinks resource could perhaps be improved by this tool...

No comments: